Leadership Self-Assessment Activity
- This survey is the short version. The long version can be found here.
- The survey is used in conjunction with the Leadership Training and Development Outline.
This self-survey will provide you with feedback as to your feelings of leading others. Rate yourself on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being a definite YES and 1 being a definite NO.
Be honest about your answers as this survey is only for you own self-assessment.
Circle the number which you feel most closely represents your feelings about the task:
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I enjoy working on teams.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am able to speak clearly to others.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I enjoy relating to others on an interpersonal basis.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am good at planning.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I can interpret rules and regulations.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I feel comfortable asking others for advice.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I enjoy collecting and analyzing data.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am good at solving problems.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am comfortable writing memos to others.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I can delegate work to others.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am effective at handling employee complaints.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - Giving directions is comfortable for me.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I know how to develop goals and carry them out.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am comfortable at implementing new techniques.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I enjoy appraising performance and giving feedback.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - If I made an mistake, I would admit it and correct it.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I am able to resolve conflict in the workplace.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I believe in diversity in the workplace.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - I thrive on change.
- - 1 2 3 4 5 - One of my greatest desires is to become a leader.
Score the survey by adding the numbers that you circled: ________
A score of fifty or higher indicates a desire to become a leader and a perceived ability to perform the tasks required of a leader.
A score of fifty or less indicators a general dislike of wanting to become a leader or a perceived inability to perform the tasks required of a leader.
BUT, no matter what your score is, your commitment, desire, and determination are the biggest indicators of your ability to become a leader.
Use this assessment to help you to determine what skills and abilities you can continue to improve (Strengths) and what skills and abilities you need to develop (Opportunities for growth). One you know your weakness, use the Leadership page to help develop those weaknesses.
What are your strengths?
What are your opportunities for growth?
Return to the Concepts of Leadership chapter
Reliability and Validity
Since this survey is a learning tool used in training programs such as leadership development, rather than a research tool, it has not been formally checked for reliability or validity. However, since I have received feedback from various sources and has been updated numerous times, I believe it to be a fairly accurate tool.